Facebook posts their new policy on mastectomy photos

Facebook posts their new policy on mastectomy photos which states:

Does Facebook allow post-mastectomy photos?

Yes. We agree that undergoing a mastectomy is a life-changing experience and that sharing photos can help raise awareness about breast cancer and support the men and women facing a diagnosis, undergoing treatment, or living with the scars of cancer. The vast majority of these kinds of photos are compliant with our policies.

They go on to explain why breastfeeding photos are removed from Facebook:

However, photos with fully exposed breasts, particularly if they’re unaffected by surgery, do violate Facebook’s Terms. These policies are based on the same standards which apply to television and print media, and that govern sites with a significant number of young people.

I don’t take any credit here because I admit I really didn’t have any opinion on whether Facebook should or should not allow pictures like mine to be broadcast all over their site. I mean, I can see some justification for protecting “young people” from images of a frightening disease, really, there could be private boards within Facebook for this sort of thing, couldn’t there? It shows Facebook’s sensitivity to us as users that they are allowing these images to be seen. Who are FB’s customers? The advertisers, right? Do you think they want mastectomy photos gathering shares & likes? I don’t see why they would.

What IS weird though is why FB, is so nervous about breasts. OK, it isn’t weird, they are just using the same criteria that all other US media use but what on earth is wrong with breastfeeding?  In my opinion, breastfeeding should be more visible,  I mean, it is normal, it’s natural! Wouldn’t we all be better, calmer and happier seeing more of that?

Well anyway, now that Facebook has clarified their policy, about half the sites that are reporting on it are using, yup… my photo.

Here is a sample: inquisitr posts new facebook policy

About these ads

24 Comments on “Facebook posts their new policy on mastectomy photos”

1. kathie says:

The photo I saw in the yahoo article is absolutely beautiful. Truly a work of art!

2. Tina says:

I was 10 when my grandmother had a double mastectomy. She was not afraid to show my 8 year old sister and I her scars and explain to us what had happened. As a nurse, she was always finding ways to teach us. I’m so grateful that she was open about her life and struggle with cancer. Thank you for being like my grandmother!

3. Chris Gilman says:

You are truly an inspiration! I think your tattoo is beautiful…. I would do the same.

4. @OneToughMutherK

@Shape_Magazine A win-This decision will help delver many women from the darkness & fear of a disease that can strip u of ur self esteem
    12:32 PM – 13 Jun 2013

5. Gary C says:

I think your chest tattoo is beautiful. Gary C (63 years old, don’t have a tat yet)

6. KareninDixie says:

I just want to commend you for facing this disease head on, and adding your own personal touch to the surgery site. Your tattoo is amazing (mastectomy or not), but it has helped put a face on this disease; a face that is rarely seen. Thank you for all women.

7. DonnaSue says:

It’s absolutely beautiful!

8. Lori says:

Came across your blog from Yahoo. Thank you for sharing your story and thoughts, as difficult and painful as the experience has been for you – it has brought awareness and understanding to so many who don’t know…..your tattoo is absolutely lovely, btw. Lori

9. bjf56 says:

I think the photograph is beautiful.

10. agree, i think its beautiful…..no one should say a word about it….if you don’t like it don’t look….what these women go through is enough….so get off there back.

11. bhartzer says:

It’s about time Facebook changed their outdated policy.

12. bjf56 says:

How empowering it must feel to wear this warrior tatoo. I want one!

13. I was one of thousands that reposted your photo on face book as well as other sites. Thank you for letting it stand as a testimony that something beautiful can come from traumatic circumstances. I had years ago started to plan my own chest tattoo on the off change that I had to face the same decision. Thank you for sharing your courage and tenacity.

14. debi says:

This is your badge of courage;you go girl

15. Stella Jonsson says:

I’m a breast cancer survivor. FB’s initial refusal to post your beautiful image is no “justification for protecting ”young people” from images of a frightening disease.”

Cancer is a reality: young people need to know about it as much as adults. The tattoo is a beautiful, unique work of art. It should be shared.

• Inga says:

That is very true, Starlite, I guess I fell into the usual thing of seeing the whole complex of tattoos, surgery and cancer as an adult context. I didn’t want parents to feel forced to explain pictures that their friends were putting up on their facebook feeds, and I certainly didn’t want them groaning, “oh, not her again” :)

16. Jabba Kitty says:

That is an awesome and beautiful tattoo! Very delicate work, and gorgeous colors! Very feminine. I love it. She has been through so much, and conquering the scars with the tattoo is an excellent way to take back your feminity that cancer tried to take away.

17. Sandy@53 says:

I really hate tattoos. I really don’t understand why someone would mark themselves for the rest of their lives with a picture or style that may go out of fashion in the not so distant future, or that they simply just change their mind about. To me it would be like wearing the same shirt for the rest of your life.

That being said, I love yours and would do it myself.

• Inga says:

Thank you :) I actually hear that a lot, “hate-tattoos”. I confess I am not a style-person: I tend to wear clothes I like until they fall apart and then buy something new that resembles them, I still wear sweaters that my mother wore in college, and I’ve had two hair styles in my life: bangs and no bangs.

Now If I was fashion minded, I would have done the tattoo more like a copy of the most glamorous strapless bra front I could find, and then started a collection of perfectly awesome camisoles and made them my trademark. Then the scars would be covered but clothes wouldn’t necessarily be replaced. That would be fun!

18. leslierahye says:

Your tattoo is beautiful. RE; Breastfeeding…in Texas you are allowed to breastfeed in public where ever the mom is allowed to be. It is the LAW. Federal Law has similar allowances for federal buildings…I’m sure it is different in every state. Based on that theory…would not a photograph of a Texas woman breastfeeding in public be fine on said Texas woman’s facebook page?? That Texan is allowed to be on facebook. . . just a thought…

19. Joesac says:

Inga, you are “Beautiful”….

20. Diane gilliland says:

I am now one year into my 5 years of waiting after a cancer diagnoses in 2012. Seeing the photos and them becoming public has been up lifting. We view wounded warriors all the time and honor them and their courage. Breast scars are hidden and discussed in whispers among a few. This will add honor to those that are survivors and fighters! I think it has been kept secret what these women have had the courage to do, for far to long. This will allow us to be stronger and fight harder. Breast cancer might destroy the breast, but this shows it won’t destroy the spirit or the women that is winning the battle. Breast cancer battles are real and it takes courage. And you are right it isn’t a pink ribbon! I never excepted the pink! And it certainly isn’t a ribbon! Thank you

Please comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 434 other followers