We have all made candle magic, even if we are unaware that that is what we were doing. This magical practice is familiar to anyone who has blown out candles on their birthday cake, lit a candle in a ceremony, for a romantic dinner or as an aid to prayer or meditation.
The process of candle-lighting helps to focus the mind and enables you to clarify your goals through visualization. As the candle burns, the power you have concentrated in it is slowly released by the flame. Wax is transformed from a solid into a liquid and a gas; a magical process in and of itself. At the same time, the energy and power you have poured into the candle is released and speeds on its way.
- Begin by visualizing your goal or intention, as you want it to be, clearly in your mind.
- Your mind is composed and calm. If thoughts of doubt or fear enter your mind, banish them immediately. They will only hinder your magic.
- Hold your candle in your right hand, (left, if you are left-handed), and send your visual image into the candle. Feel your power and energy flow into the candle.
- You may scratch an appropriate symbol into the candle at this time, a zodiacal sign, a rune, a shape that symbolizes your goal. I like to draw the same symbol on my body but I’ll leave that up to you.🙂
- Now is the time to call on any powers with which you feel comfortable, asking them to aid in the manifestation of your goal.
- Place your candle in a holder and light the wick. Watch its flame for a few moments, still holding your objective in mind.
- You may practice relaxation techniques at this time, meditate, read an uplifting book, or simply leave the area and go about your business. The candle is doing your work and may be left burning as long as you like.
- Light your candle for at least a few minutes every day. Alternatively, use a tea light and just let it burn completely. Make sure it is in a safe place with no draperies, cats or other flammable objects nearby.
You may think of the process as programming the candle, or empowering the candle. Program getting a job, correcting a health issue, finding a partner, increasing psychic ability or any other objective or intention into the candle.
You also may enhance the ritual in several ways:
- Anoint yourself or your candle with an appropriate planetary fragrance oil
- Perform the ritual when the moon is in the sign associated with your objective
- Use the time of the waxing moon for increase or prosperity rituals
- Use the time of the waning moon for rituals of banishing or decreasing (weight loss or habit breaking)
- Wear the gemstone appropriate to your objective.
- Repeat an affirmation as you fall asleep each night
- Burn a large candle for the number of minutes or days appropriate to your objective
To learn more, click here to view the Table of Intentions.
If you’d like a color or fragrance suggestion from me just leave me a comment with your intended outcome and I will answer. >^..^<