This is a winner!
I just came up with this last night and it is amazing, fresh-tasting, rich, vegan, gluten-free, and low-fat to boot. The house smells incredible while it is cooking and your guests will never believe that there is no cream or flour in the broth. The original inspiration for pairing mushrooms and a serious amount of paprika is from The Moosewood Cookbook (this link is to the NEW book but the cover pic is the same.)
Now, make it and let me know how you like it!
- Mushrooms, I used baby bellas, about 12 oz.
- Celery, 4 stalks
- onion, about 2 slices, you can use more but I don’t really like onion
- Miso (any color), 3 tablespoons, (you can sub your favorite bullion)
- Almonds or walnuts, 2 tablespoons
- Paprika, 1 tablespoon
- Dill weed, 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Tamari, 1 teaspoon, or to taste
- 3 cups water or broth
Separate the stems from the mushroom caps, slice each mushroom cap into three or four slices. Place stems in blender, (I used my Vita-Mix), and mushroom caps into a slow cooker or crock pot, (you could use a soup pot on the stove).
Chop onion and celery and microwave on a plate until soft, add to mushrooms. Add remaining ingredients to blender or Vita-Mix and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over mushrooms and cook in crock-pot on high, or on stove at medium, until mushrooms reach desired softness. Mine took an hour in the crock pot, it would take less time on the stove.
- Saute your onions and celery in butter or oil instead of microwaving them
- Sub milk for 1 cup of water
- Sub wine or sherry for 1 cup water
- Add sour cream to each bowl right before serving